- Department of Chemistry, University of Athens, 1977
- Ph.D., Department of Materials Science, University of London, 1981
Graphene and Carbon Nanotubes
- Mechanical properties in tension and compression
- Surface modification and structural characterisation
- Production of nanocomposites
- Stress/ strain sensing
- Interfacial measurements
- Micromechanics of reinforcement
- Strain mapping
- Modes of Failure
- Mechanical characterisation
- Smart Structures
- Modelling structure/ property behaviour in semi-crystalline polymers
- Morphological and structural characterisation of moulded polymers
- Spectroscopic characterisation of polymers
Non-Destructive Testing of Materials
- Application of Laser Raman spectroscopy for stress or strain measurements in fibres and composites to both polymeric and ceramic based composites
“Failure Processes in Embedded Monolayer Graphene under Axial Compression” by Ch. Androulidakis, E.N. Koukaras, O. Frank, G. Tsoukleri, D. Sfyris, J. Parthenios, N. Pugno, K. Papagelis, K.S. Novoselov, C. Galiotis, SCIENTIFIC REPORTS (Nature), 4, 5271, DOI:10.1038/srep05271 (2014).
“Subjecting a Graphene Monolayer to Tension and Compression” by G. Tsoukleri, J. Parthenios, K. Papagelis, R. Jalil, A.C. Ferrari, A.K. Geim, K.S. Novoselov, and C. Galiotis, Small, 2397-240: 25/21, 2009.
“Chemical Oxidation of Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes” by V. Datsyuk, M. Kalyva, K. Papagelis, J. Parthenios, D. Tasis, A. Siokou, I. Kallitsis and C. Galiotis, Carbon, 833-840: 46/6, 2008.
“Stress generation by shape memory alloy wires embedded in polymer composites” by D. Bollas, P. Pappas, J. Parthenios and C. Galiotis, Acta materialia, 5489-5499: 55/16, 2007.
“Effect of Stress and Temperature on the Optical Phonons of Aramid Fibers” by D. Bollas, J. Parthenios and C. Galiotis, Physical Review B, 73, 094103, 2006.
“An experimental and theoretical study of the stress transfer problem in fibrous composites”, by G. Anagnostopoulos, J. Parthenios, A.G. Andreopoulos and C. Galiotis, Acta Materialia, 4173-4183: 53/15, 2005.
|Publication List (Full):|
- Appointed National Representative in the Horizon 2020 “Nanotechnologies, Advanced Materials, Biotechnology, Advanced Manufacturing and Processing (NMBP)” Committee of European Commission (since 2014).
- Elected National Representative in the Graphene FET Flagship (2013-2023)
- Appointed National Representative in the FP7 “Nanosciences, Nanotechnologies, Materials and New Production Technologies (NMP)” Committee of European Commission (2011-2013).
- Award of “The John S. Latsis Public Benefit Foundation” prize (2010).
- Elected Director of FORTH/ICEHT and Member of the Board of Directors of FORTH (2007-2013).
- Elected President of the European Association of Composite Materials (EACM) (2004-2006).
- Editor-in-Chief of two international- cited- journals (ACL and JNPN).
- Served as Independent Observer, Vice-Chair and Expert in Marie-Curie and SME evaluations (2002-current) of European Commission.