- BSc in Chemistry (2000), University of Hull, United Kingdom, First Class Honours Degree.
- PhD in Physical Chemistry (2004), University of Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- PGCert - Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (2014) University of Hull.
My research focuses on understanding and exploiting surface phenomena with respect to surface reactivity, heterogeneous catalysis, self-assembled systems. Experiments are performed at the gas/solid and liquid/solid interface in a wide range of experimental conditions ranging from ultra-high vacuum to 100 bar pressure. Much effort has been dedicated in improving catalytic performance by synthesizing novel nanocatalysts intended for use in the research laboratory and in industry.
Research areas include:
- Heterogeneous catalysis
- Surface Chemistry
- Chiral networks
- Self assembled systems
- Sensor technology
Comprehensive Experimental and Theoretical Study of the CO + NO Reaction Catalyzed by Au/Ni Nanoparticles
G. Kyriakou, A. M. Márquez, J. P. Holgado, M. J. Taylor, A. E.H. Wheatley, J. P Mehta, J. Fernández Sanz, S. K. Beaumont, R. M. Lambert
ACS Catalysis 2019, 9, 4919–4929
Catalytic Hydrogenation and Hydrodeoxygenation of Furfural Over Pt(111); a Model System for the Rational Design and Operation of Practical Biomass Conversion Catalysts
M. J. Taylor , L. Jiang, J. Reichert, A. C. Papageorgiou , S. K. Beaumont, K. Wilson, A. F. Lee, J. V. Barth, and G. Kyriakou
Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2017, 121, 8490–8497
Highly selective hydrogenation of furfural over supported Pt nanoparticles under mild conditions
M. J. Taylor, L. J. Durndell, M. A. Isaacs, C. M.A. Parlett, K. Wilson, A. F. Lee, G. Kyriakou
Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 2016, 180, 580-585
Significant Quantum Effects in Hydrogen Activation.
Georgios Kyriakou, Erlend R. M. Davidson, Guowen Peng, Luke T. Roling, Suyash Singh, Matthew B. Boucher, Matthew D. Marcinkowski, Manos Mavrikakis, Angelos Michaelides, E. Charles H. Sykes
ACS Nano 2014, 8, 4827-2835
Molecular-Scale Surface Chemistry of a Common Metal Nanoparticle Capping Agent: Triphenylphosphine on Au(111)
A. D. Jewell, E. C. H. Sykes, and G. Kyriakou
ACS Nano 2012, 6, 3545-3552
Isolated Metal Atom Geometries as a Strategy for Selective Heterogeneou Hydrogenations
G. Kyriakou, M. B. Boucher, A. D. Jewell, E. A. Lewis, T. J. Lawton, A. E. Baber, H. L. Tierney, M. Flytzani-Stephanopoulos, E. C. H. Sykes
Science 2012, 335, 1209-1212
Identity of the Active Site in Gold Nanoparticle-Catalyzed Sonogashira Coupling of Phenylacetylene and Iodobenzene
S. K. Beaumont, G. Kyriakou, R. M. Lambert
Journal of the American Chemical Society 2010, 132, 12246-12248
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) - 2013
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (MRSC) - 2012
- Fellow of the Cambridge European Society (Cambridge European trust) - 2001
- Guest Εditor with Professor Christopher Baddeley for Surface Science, Volume 646, April 2016, Surface science for heterogeneous catalysis, a special issue in Honour of Richard Lambert