- Diploma, Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, 1979.
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, Mass. Inst. of Technology, 1981.
- Ph.D.,Chemical Engineering, Mass. Inst. of Technology, 1985.
1. Interfacial phenomena
- Nonlinear analysis of fluid flow with free and moving boundaries
- Stability and Dynamic analysis of liquid films over solid and liquid substrates
- Determination of conditions leading to different flow patterns (trickling, pulsing, spray, bubble) in packed beds.
- Motion, interaction, coagulation and removal of drops and bubbles from their suspensions in Newtonian and nonNewtonian liquids
- Film flow of micro-structured liquids over solid substrates with variable topography.
- Cavitation and fibrillation during the extensional flow and the probe test of adhesive (polymeric) materials
2. Fluid Mechanics and Transport Phenomena applied in the production of new materials
- Operation limits and dynamics of processes used in the fabrication of polymeric, ceramic and electronic materials.
- Study of the Film-Blowing process for the production of thin polymeric films.
- Study of polymer extrusion to determine the conditions leading to unacceptable deformation of their surface and variation of their thickness.
- Study of the Blow-Molding process for the production of plastic containers
- Study of the Spin-Coating Process for the production of electronic storage devices
- Fabrication of new materials by Chemical Vapor Infiltration & Chemical Vapor Deposition.
3. Applied mathematics and computational Analysis
- Computer-aided process and stability analysis based on bifurcation theory.
- Development of modern computational methods combining Finite Elements, Boundary Elements, Spectral Elements, Finite Differences etc. and their optimization depending on the application
- Singular perturbation methods using symbolic manipulators.
Fraggedakis, D. Pavlidis, M. Dimakopoulos, Y. and Tsamopoulos, J., “On the velocity discontinuity at a critical volume of a bubble rising in a viscoelastic fluid”, J. Fluid Mech., 789, 310-346 (2016), http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2015.740.
Lampropoulos, N., Dimakopoulos, Y. and Tsamopoulos, J., “Transient flow of gravity-driven viscous films over substrates with rectangular topographical features”, Microfluid Nanofluid, 20:51, (2016), doi:10.1007/s10404-016-1716-3.
Fraggedakis, D., Dimakopoulos, Y. and Tsamopoulos, J., “Yielding the yield stress analysis: A study focused on the effects of elasticity on the settling of a single particle in simple yield stress fluids”, Soft Matter, 12, 5378 - 5401 (2016), DOI: 10.1039/C6SM00480F.
Pavlidis, M., Karapetsas, G., Dimakopoulos, Y. and Tsamopoulos, J., ‘Steady viscoelastic film flow over 2D topography: II. The effect of capillarity, inertia and substrate geometry”, J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech., 234, 201-214, (2016), doi:10.1016/j.jnnfm.2016.06.011.
Pettas, D., Karapetsas, G., Dimakopoulos, Y. and Tsamopoulos, J., “On the degree of wetting of a slit by a liquid film flowing along an inclined plane”, J. Fluid Mech., 820, 45-41, (2017), https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2017.190.
Syrakos, Al., Varchanis, St., Dimakopoulos, Y., Goulas, Ap. Tsamopoulos, J., “A critical analysis of some popular methods for the discretisation of the gradient operator in finite volume methods”, Phys. Fluids, 29(12) 127103 (2017), https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4997682.
|Publication List (Full):|
|-- Fall 1979:||A.D. Little Fellowship, MIT,|
|-- Spring 1980:||DuPont Fellowship, MIT,|
|-- Fall 1980:||Union Carbide Fellowship, MIT,|
|-- Spring 1981:||Departmental Fellowship, MIT,|
|-- Fall 1981 & Spring 1982:||Halcon International Fellowship, MIT.|
|-- 1980:||Chryssoverghis Prize, National Technical University of Athens, NTUA. Awarded to the student ranking first overall in each graduating class in the School of Chemical Engineering.|
|-- 1978 & 1979:||Prizes of the Technical Chamber of Greece.|
|-- 1976 - 1979:||Greek Scholarship Foundation Awards.|
|-- 1980:||17th November 1973" prize, Technical Chamber of Greece.|
|-- 1992, 1996, 2006:||Who’s Who in Science and Engin., New Providence NJ, (USA),|
|-- 2001 – 2005, 2008-2009:||Who’s Who in the World, New Providence, NJ, (USA).|
|-- 2007:||The presentation entitled: “Steady bubble rise and deformation in Bingham fluids and conditions for their entrapment with Y. Dimakopoulos, N. Chatzidai, G. Karapetsas, M. Pavlidis, received the Best paper award in the Conference on Viscoplasticity: from Theory to Application, Ticino, SWITZERLAND, October 2007|
|-- Member of the National Advisory Research Council (ΕGSE), of the Ministry of Development of Greece, (1998-2001).|
|-- Co-edited with D. Vlassopoulos the special issue of the J. Non-Newt. Fluid Mech. 102(2), (2002), dedicated to Prof. A. -- Acrivos on the occasion of his retirement from the Levich Institute and CCNY.|
|-- Member of the editorial Board of the Journal Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics (Jan. 2002 - present).|
|-- Member of the editorial Board with Ian Frigaard, John Billingham and Marcio Carvalho the special issue entitled “ Complex Flows and Fluids” of the “Journal of Engineering Mathematics”, 71(1), (2011).|
|-- Member of the editorial Board of the International Scholarly Research Network (ISRN) Chemical Engineering (2011-present)|