- Contact Us
Laboratory of Biochemical Engineering & Environmental Technology (LBEET)
|ASSOC. PROF. MICHAEL KORNAROSfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Christina Economou, Postdoc Researcheremail@example.com|
|Dr. Panagiota (Giouli) Tsafrakidou, Postdoc Researcherfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Elena Koutra, PhD email@example.com|
|Konstantina Tsigkou, PhD firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Marina Papadionysiou, MSc email@example.com|
|Alexandros Kopsahelis (MSc), Lab. Technical Supervisorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Thodoris Vgenis, Research Associateemail@example.com|
|Yannis Kanakaris, Financial Managerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
The Laboratory of Biochemical Engineering & Environmental Technology (LBEET) was founded in 1990 and since then is conducting research on development, mathematical modeling, optimization and control of bioprocesses with special emphasis on environmental protection and wastes valorization via biotechnological production of high-added value chemicals and/or biofuels.
LBEET is conducting fundamental and applied research covering a wide spectrum of activities from the identification of key-mechanisms taking place in biochemical processes at the lab-scale up to the design and optimization of bioreactors and processes in industrial scale.
Particular emphasis has been given in developing and optimizing biological as well as integrated processes for the removal of nutrients (nitrogen and phosphorus) from municipal and industrial wastewaters and studying the fate of xenobiotics (pharmaceuticals, surfactants, etc) and their effect in WWTPs. The current research interests of LBEET focus on the development of innovative or improved environmental technologies for the integrated management of liquid or solid wastes with high organic content. In this context, special emphasis is given on the application of biological processes for the valorization of the organic fraction of municipal solid wastes, agricultural residues, energy crops or organic wastes through their bioconversion to liquid and gaseous biofuels (bioethanol, hydrogen, methane etc) or high added-value chemicals (e.g. bio-plastics, bio-surfactants, bio-plasticizers etc).
LBEET is also using modern environmental tools and techniques such as Life-Cycle Analysis (LCA) and Geographical Information Systems (G.I.S.) coupled with optimization methods for developing schemes for the optimal integrated management of municipal solid wastes.
LBEET is very well equipped with all necessary techniques and apparatuses for carrying out physico-chemical and microbiological characterization of liquid or solid waste samples, potable or sea water as well as developing and optimizing biotechnological and environmental processes. LBEET facilities include :
- Gas chromatograph (GC) with ECD & NPD detectors (Agilent)
- Gas chromatograph (GC) with TCD & FID detectors (Agilent)
- High Performance Liquid Chromatograph (HPLC) with ESI-QTOF-MS detector (Agilent)
- High Performance Liquid Chromatograph (HPLC) with DAD, ELSD and fluorescence detector (Agilent)
- Ion chromatograph (DIONEX)
- Total organic Carbon (ΤΟC) and Total Nitrogen (TN) analyzer for liquid, solid and gaseous samples (Shimadzu)
- Atomic absorption spectrophotometer with graphite furnace (Shimadzu)
- Spectrophotometer UV-VIS (Cary 50, Varian)
- Spectrophotometer VIS (x2) (MACHEREY-NAGEL, HACH)
- Kjeldahl (TKN) and ammonium nitrogen analyzer (VELP)
- BOD analyzer (WTW)
- Extraction device using the Randall technique (VELP)
- FT-IR spectrometer (Iron-Diesel)
- Flash point measurement device (Iron-Diesel)
Equipment for studying biotechnological processes
- Laminar flow hood, class II (BIOAIR)
- Microscope VIS-fluoresence (NICON ECLIPSE)
- Freeze-dryer (Telstar, LyoQuest)
- Incubator (ΜΜΜ)
- Autoclave (RAYPA)
Equipment for studying environmental processes
- Ozone generator (ANSEROS)
- Ozone analyzer (x2) (ANSEROS)
- Lab-scale membrane modules UF and NF (2x) (Sartorious)
- Cascade system with 28 CSTR reactors for studying wastewater treatment using activated sludge
- Coupled anaerobic digesters for studying co-digestion of agro-wastes (x3)
Supporting laboratory equipment
- Ultra-pure water production system (18 MΩ cm) (TEMAK)
- Analytical scale 4 digits (Kern) and 2 digits (Kern)
- Muffle furnace (Nabertherm)
- Oven (x3) (ΜΕΜΜΕRT, Binder)
- Laboratory centrifuge (x2) (HERMLE & NUVE)
- Microwave digestion system (MARS 5, CEM)
- Sample digester (x3)(HACH, VELP, Electromantle)
- 6-position thermomantle(FALC)
- Orbital shaking water bath (x3) (GRANT)
- Magnetic stirrers (x15)
- Vortex stirrer (VELP)
- Portable multimeter (WTW)
- Portable gas analyzer (CH4, CO2, H2, NH3, H2S κ.ά) (GasData)
- pH meter (x2) (WTW, Consort))
- DO meter (x4) (WTW, HACH)
- pH-controllers (x3) (HACH)
- Piot-scale press for oil recovery from plant biomass (NOR-AG)
- Peristaltic pumps (x20) (Watson & Marlow, SEKO, Cole Parmer)
- Automatic wet-gas meters (x8)
- Automatic wet-gas meters (x2) (Ritter)
- Pilot plant for using ozone for wastewater treatment and sterilization of solid samples
- Pilot plant for biodiesel production
- Trickling filter
- High-rate anaerobic digesters of Upflow Anaerobic Sludge Blanket Reactors (UASB) and hybrid-type(x4)
- Fully automated and self-sustained pilot plant for integrated valorization of liquid and solid agroindustrial wastes (includes: 3 refrigerated feeding tanks , mixing tank, hydrolysis reactor, acidogenesis reactor, methanogenesis reactor, MBR/UF reactor, membrane modules of NF and RO, centrifugal separator, aerobic composter and vermin-composter, CHP for combined production of heat and electricity, gas chromatograph for biogas analysis etc)
- Life Cycle Analysis software (SimaPro 7)
- Simulator of biological & physicochemical processes (BioWin v.3.0)
- Simulator of wastewater treatment plants & processes (GPS-X v.5.0 Hydromantis Inc.)
Over the years LBEET has participated and still participates actively in a large number of national, european and industrial projects. Most recent ones include :
- Project Title : “Development of sustainable biogas strategies for integrated agroindustrial waste management (BIOGAIA)”. Program : European Territorial Cooperation Programme Greece – Italy 2007-2013 (MIS Code : 902020). Budget (LBEET) : 410 k€. Duration : 30 months (2011-2014).
- Project Title : “Development of novel environmentally added-value surfactants and esters by biotechnological processes from fats and oils waste streams (Bio-SURFEST)”. Program : BSG-SME- Research for the benefit of SMEs (No 286834). Budget (LBEET) : 148 k€. Duration : 24 months (2011-2013).
- Project Title : “Mobile Integrated Sustainable System for Treatment of Organic Wastewater (MISSTOW)”. Program : CIP-EIP-Eco-Innovation-2010 (No 277241). Budget (LBEET) : 174 k€. Duration : 36 months (2011-2014).
- Project Title : “Sustainable Management via Energy Exploitation of End-Of-Life DAIRy Products In CyprUS (DAIRIUS)”. Program : LIFE10 ENV/CY/000721. Budget (LBEET) : 380 k€. Duration : 36 months (2011-2014).
- Project Title : "Integrated management of agroindustrial wastes and plant biomass". Program : Heracleitus II (12/121/4). Budget (LBEET) : 45 k€. Duration : 36 months (2010-2013).
- Project Title : "Development of integrated agroindustrial waste management politics maximizing materials recovery and energy exploitation (INTEGRASTE)". Program : LIFE+08 ENV/GR/000578. Budget (LBEET) : 339 k€. Duration : 45 months (2010-2013).
Further Information for these projects can be found in the following links: