Understand the concepts and principles applied to members under various loadings and the effects of these loadings
Analyze structural members subjected to tension, compression, torsion, bending and combined stresses using the fundamental concepts of stress, strain and elastic behavior of materials.
Analyze cylindrical vessels subjected to pressure.
Students should have knowledge of mathematics and physics.
Α. ELEMENTS OF STATICS
1. Introduction. Forces. Forces synthesis and equilibrium. Torque. Solid body balance and equilibrium equations.
2. Trusses. Elements of vector analysis. Working with vectors. Trusses. Statically Indeterminate truss
3. Diagrams Ν, Q, Μ. Type of vectors and methods of joint. Beam Stress state. Uniaxial - Shear.
Β. STRENGTH OF MATERIALS (Deformable Bodies)
4. Introduction in strength of materials. Axial, plane, general stresses. Hooke’s Law. Generalized Hooke’s law. Superposition principle. Shear. Thermal stresses. Static problems.Mechanical behaviour of metals, ceramics and polymers.
5. Fracture, Plastic Yielding and Fatigue of Materials
Failure in tension and compression. General principles of fracture mechanics. Plastic yielding. Models of yielding. Fatigue of materials. Models describing fatigue behaviour.
6. Thermal stresses and strains
Thermal effects. Volumetric change under axial loading. Thermal expansion and calculation of stresses in various temperatures.
7. Bending and Torsion
8. Axial loading and Bending. Geometric centres, moment of inertia. Bending. Maximum hoop stress. Beam dimensioning during bending. Shear-bending. Axial loading and Torsion.Torsion of thin-walled vessels. Torsion of round sectional bar. Static problems of torsion.
9. Thin-walled pressure vessels
Stresses and deformations. Failure. Volumetric behaviour. Design problems.
Κeywords: trusses, forces, diagrams Ν, Q, Μ, shear, thermal stresses, Hooke Law, thin-walled tubes, torque, torsion, bending
LECTURES: 3 h/w
RECITATION: 1 h/w
Total Module Workload (ECTS Standards):
Written examination (100% of the final mark)
1. P.Α. Vouthounis, Technical Mechanics, Edit. 2011. ISBN: 978-960-85431-7-1
2. F.P.Beer, E.R. Johnston,Jr, John T. DeWolf, D.F. Mazurek, Edit. Tziola, 2012. ISBN: 978-960-418-381-4