Students are trained in basic chemical and biochemical engineering processes.
Students learn to operate experimental laboratory or semi-pilot devices and present their results in original technical reports.
Students exploit the knowledge gained in their respective theoretical modules.
Students learn to work and co-operate in multidisciplinary teams to present their results in original technical reports
There are no formal prerequisite modules. Basic knowledge by the following modules is necessary: Fluid Flow, Heat Transfer, Unit Operations, and Biochemical Process Engineering
Laboratory exercises based on Unit Operations:
1. Flow in a network of pipelines
Calculation of pressure drop values in a network of tubes, calculation of flowrates and fiction losses based on the Poiseuille equation
2. Heat exchanger
Energy balances, conduct surfaces, overall heat coefficient, etc
The students learn to design complicated systems of flow in networks of pipelines (pressures, flowrates, geometrical characteristics, friction losses) and to design heat exchangers for the heating or cooling of liquid streams
Laboratory exercises based on Biochemical Processes:
3. Measurement of chemical oxygen demand (COD)
Estimation of the organic load in a sample of wastewater. The method is based on complete catalytic chemical oxidation of the organic compounds contained in a wastewater sample.
4. Measurement of biochemical oxygen demand (BOD)
Estimation of the organic content that can be degraded biologically (by microorganisms) in a sample of wastewater
5. Microbial growth
Growth stages of a microbial culture and procedure to be followed for the estimation of kinetic parameters of growth
The students learn the concept of Chemical Oxygen Demand and Biochemical Oxygen Demand as measurements of the organic content of a wastewater sample and have a greater understanding of the microbial growth rates
LAB/PRACTICE: 4 h/w
Total Module Workload (ECTS Standards):
The evaluation of the exercises of Unit Operations is as follows:
The evaluation of Unit Operatiosn is as follows:
1. Written examination, after running the 2 exercises (theory and simple exercises) (50%),
2. Marking of the final report (50%).
The evaluation of Biochemical Processes exercises is as follows:
1. Assessment of each student’s performance during each exercise implementation and oral examination (50% of the final mark)
2. Written examination (50% of the final mark)
In the end, the average of the five exercises summed and averaged out the module.
1. ΠΑΡΑΣΚΕΥΑ Χ. - ΚΟΡΝΑΡΟΣ Μ. "ΣΗΜΕΙΩΣΕΙΣ ΕΡΓΑΣΤΗΡΙΟΥ ΔΙΕΡΓΑΣΙΩΝ ΙΙ", Εκδόσεις Πανεπιστημίου Πατρών, 2012, ΠΑΤΡΑ
2. "Μηχανική Υγρών Αποβλήτων. Επεξεργασία και Επαναχρησιμοποίηση - Τόμος Α" 4η Έκδοση, Metcalf & Eddy, Εκδ. Τζιόλα, 2006, Θεσ/νίκη. ISBN: 960-148-109-2
3. "Διαχείριση Υγρών Αποβλήτων", Γ. Λυμπεράτος και Δ. Βαγενάς, Εκδ. Τζιόλα, 2011, Θεσ/νίκη. ISBN: 978-960-418-346-3