- Diploma, Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, 1979.
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, Mass. Inst. of Technology, 1981.
- Ph.D.,Chemical Engineering, Mass. Inst. of Technology, 1985.
1. Interfacial phenomena
- Nonlinear analysis of fluid flow with free and moving boundaries
- Stability and Dynamic analysis of liquid films over solid and liquid substrates
- Determination of conditions leading to different flow patterns (trickling, pulsing, spray, bubble) in packed beds.
- Motion, interaction, coagulation and removal of drops and bubbles from their suspensions in Newtonian and nonNewtonian liquids
- Film flow of micro-structured liquids over solid substrates with variable topography.
- Cavitation and fibrillation during the extensional flow and the probe test of adhesive (polymeric) materials
2. Fluid Mechanics and Transport Phenomena applied in the production of new materials
- Operation limits and dynamics of processes used in the fabrication of polymeric, ceramic and electronic materials.
- Study of the Film-Blowing process for the production of thin polymeric films.
- Study of polymer extrusion to determine the conditions leading to unacceptable deformation of their surface and variation of their thickness.
- Study of the Blow-Molding process for the production of plastic containers
- Study of the Spin-Coating Process for the production of electronic storage devices
- Fabrication of new materials by Chemical Vapor Infiltration & Chemical Vapor Deposition.
3. Applied mathematics and computational Analysis
- Computer-aided process and stability analysis based on bifurcation theory.
- Development of modern computational methods combining Finite Elements, Boundary Elements, Spectral Elements, Finite Differences etc. and their optimization depending on the application
- Singular perturbation methods using symbolic manipulators.
Varchanis, S., Haward, S.J., Hopkins C.C., Syrakos, A., Shen, A.Q., Dimakopoulos, Y. and Tsamopoulos, J., Transition between solid and liquid state of yield-stress fluids under purely extensional deformations”, Proceed. National Academy of Sciences, USA (PNAS) 117 (23) 12611-12617 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1922242117
Varchanis, S., Syrakos, A., Dimakopoulos, Y. and Tsamopoulos, J. “PEGAFEM-V: A new Petrov-Galerkin Finite Element Method for free surface viscoelastic flows”, J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech., 284, 104365 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnnfm.2020.104365
Moschopoulos, P., Syrakos, Al., Dimakopoulos, Y., and Tsamopoulos, J., “Dynamics of viscoplastic filament stretching”, J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech., 284, 104371 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnnfm.2020.104371
Marousis, A., Pettas, D., Karapetsas, G. Dimakopoulos, Y. and Tsamopoulos, J. "Stability analysis of viscoelastic film flows over an inclined substrate with rectangular trenches” J. Fluid Mech., 915, A98, (2021) https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2021.163
Calabrese, V. Varchanis, S. Haward, S., Tsamopoulos, J. and Shen, A., “Structure-property relationship of a soft colloidal glass in simple and mixed flows” J. Coll. Interf. Sci. 601, 454-466, (2021) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2021.05.103
Varchanis, S., Pettas, D., Dimakopoulos, Y. and Tsamopoulos, J. “On the origin of the sharkskin instability: Nonlinear dynamics”, Phys. Rev. Let., 127, 088001 (2021) https://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevLett.127.088001
Kordalis, A. Varchanis, S. Ioannou, G. Dimakopoulos, Y. and Tsamopoulos, J. “Investigation of the extensional properties of elasto-visco-plastic materials in cross-slot geometries” J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech., 296, 104627 (2021), 10.1016/j.jnnfm.2021.104627