Module Notes
Faculty Member (Members):
Postgraduate, Spring Semester
Module Type: Specialization Courses
Teaching Language: English/Greek
Course Code: GCHM_C631
ECTS Credits: 8
Module Availability on Erasmus Students: No
Module Details
  1. Focused knowledge on one of the available separation methods: Crystallization. 
  2. Stages involved in crystallization which determine the mechanism underlying the development of a new phase in a continuous medium.
  3. Measurable parameters and methods of measurement for the assessment of the efficiency of the crystal growth process for the separation of a substance from a mixture
  4. Knowledge of the importance of polymorphism of crystalline substances and the effective use of crystallization as a tool for the separation or for the selective formation of a specific form of a crystalline substance. 
  5. Crystallization as a purification method
  6. Control of crystal habit in crystallization
  7. Precipitation (and coprecipitation) as a sepration method (enrichment)


  • Understanding principles and fundamentals underlying the separation of substances by crystallization
  • Calculations in media in which crystal growth takes place in order to maximize efficiency of separation.
  • Methods for the control of the crystal growth process for the production of crystals with tailor made properties (size and shape)
  • Choice of the most appropriate method and crystallizer for the separation of crystalline substances with the possibility to control size and shape of the crystals.

There are no formal prerequisites.

Introduction to separation processes.  The importance of crystallization as a separation method.  Crystallization methods.  Thermodynamics with applications to phase transformation.  Equilibrium and phase diagrams  and their use in crystal growth processes.   Methods for the investigation of phase changes.  Nucleation and crystal growth.  Mechanisms of crystal growth. Measurements of the crystal growth rates and calculations of the thermodynamic driving force for crystallization.  Elucidation of the mechanism of crystal growth.  Polymorphism in crystal systems. Separation of enantiomorphs and racemic mixtures of crystalline substances. Recrystallization.  Coprecipitation and separation of various components: Enrichment and depletion.  Crystal habit.  The impurities and their role in separations by crystallization.  Distribution of impurities and other components in precipitating crystals.

  • J.W.Mullin, Crystallization, 4th Ed. Butterworth, Oxford 2001
  • J.Garside, Precipitation, Butterworth, Oxford, 1989
  • I.H.Leubner, Precision Crystallization, Theory and Practice of Controlling Crystal Size, CRC Press, Boca Raton 2010
  • P.G.Koutsoukos,, Colloid Chemistry (in Greek), University of Patras, 1996

Lectures using electronic and conventional means. Analytic presentation of selected examples. Student guidance to seek internet and other course related Literature information.  Selected demonstration experiments

Series of homework assignments during the progress of the course (20% of the final grade). The rest 80% is from the final exam at the end of the course.