Ability to organize and perform the synthesis of simple organic molecules.
Ability to perform various techniques used in organic synthesis such as extraction, filtration, distillation, recrystallization etc.
Abiity to perform Thin Layer Chromatography.
Completing this laboratory course, the student should be able to :
- Understand and perform various techniques in simple organic synthesis.
- Be familiar with the various glassware necessary for the experiments.
- Assemble the equipment necessary for the isolation and purification of the final organic product.
There are not prerequisite courses formally. It is however advisable thatstudents should have basic knowledge in Organic Chemistry.
- Synthesis of acetanilide
- Synthesis of tert- boutylchloride
- Nitration of acetanilide
- The Cannizzaro reaction
- The Claisen- Schmidt reaction
- Synthesis of oxime of cyclohaxanone
- Thin Layer Chromatography (TLC)
LAB/PRACTICE: 4 h/w
Total Module Workload (ECTS Standards):
Written test before performing the day’s experiment (25% of the final grade), Lab report (25% of the final grade), Final written and or oral examination (50% of the final grade).
- Notes: “Organic Chemistry Laboratory”, in Greek
- D.L. Paiva, G.M. Lampman and G.S. Kriz "Introduction to Organic Laboratory Techniques" New York (1998).
- M. Harwood, C.J. Moody and J.M. Percy "Experimental Organic Chemistry ", London (1995).